New Clue Movie?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Michael
Mastermind

New Clue Movie?

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:29 am

Someone from the Yahoo group found this:

From Rotten Tomatoes

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/clue/news/1710069/

Last summer, we discussed the news that Hasbro intended to develop a number of its board games -- including Monopoly, supposedly to be directed by Ridley Scott -- into feature films. This week, that plan inched closer to reality.

Hasbro and Universal have released a joint statement announcing their new "six-year strategic partnership," which should bring "at least four" movies based on Hasbro properties to the big screen. The short list, apparently, includes Monopoly, Ouija, Battleship, Magic: The Gathering, Stretch Armstrong, and a new Clue. From the statement:

"This deal gives Universal access to some of the greatest brands in the world. Hasbro's portfolio of products has tremendous emotional resonance with children and adults. They offer an exciting opportunity for us to develop tentpole movies with built-in global brand awareness, which is a key component of our slate strategy. Universal's creativity and worldwide marketing and distribution strength make them the perfect partner. Today's Hasbro is so much more than a traditional toy and game company, and this partnership is a powerful example of how we are offering our consumers new ways to enjoy unique and immersive experiences with our brands."

So, betting pool time: How long do you think it'll take the Zuckers to start writing a script for the inevitable Board Game Movie spoof?
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:27 pm

It seems to me that only the last two (possibly three) would you be able to watch the movie without knowing the title and know what toy it was based on (or that it was based on a toy, for that matter).

I don't know, maybe I'm not thinking creatively enough, but it seems to me like Battleship will be a standard war picture, Ouija will be a standard horror movie (except probably more in the Nancy Drew/Scooby Doo level of horror), and Monopoly will be a "Rat Race"esque real estate adventure.

Maybe they'll surprise me, though.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:40 pm

I'm skeptic about a new Clue movie. Although it translates into the film realm the best, due to the lack of commercial success with the last one, I doubt they'd do it again. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised though.

Monopoly I can see being made into a movie. It's popular, and a creative enough person might actually be able to write a great script for it. This one probably has the best chance of being made into a film.

Ouija is another one I doubt. Although it's a somewhat popular game, making a kid-friendly movie involving a game that most conservative groups frown upon might be difficult to market.

I don't know what Magic: The Gathering is, but I'm going to assume some kind of fantasy film? That has a good chance of being made, especially, with the popularity of the Harry Potter and Narnia series.

Stretch Armstrong, now I remember having him as a kid, but I don't remember exactly why his arms and legs stretched. Was he a superhero? If so, then I can easily see this one being made. Super Hero movies are in now, and they won't miss a chance to make some money off of another super hero franchise.

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:07 pm

Magic: the Gathering is a collectible card game; one of the first, in fact, and one of the most successful. You were correct in assuming it was a fantasy.

I think part of the reason the original Clue movie didn't do well was that it was only sorta Clue. It had the characters and the weapons and the rooms, but that was about it. It wasn't set in the right time period, there were many other characters, the characters didn't dress in their color, and most importantly, it was a comedy. Other things were changed, too, like Mrs. White being a guest instead of an employee and things like that. Even though it's a very funny movie, it's just doesn't feel like Clue to me.

On the other hand, if you were to make the movie a real murder mystery and have it set in the 1920s with an art deco opening credit sequence perhaps, that would feel more like Clue to me. You could have the movie set up as a police investigation and the events of the weekend could be told by the Guests to the police (or Inspector Brown, maybe). You would then cut back and forth between the Investigation and the Weekend, and they could be differentiated by having the Investigation parts being in black and white and rainy while the Weekend part is in color and sunny. As the movie would start out in the Investigation part, the black and white would lend itself nicely to the murder mystery atmosphere. Also, if you wanted, you could spot color the Suspects so that their clothes are in color but the rest of the world is in black and white. Maybe once their name is said, their clothes become color or something, I don't know.

My point is, though, that there's a lot of potential in Clue for a movie.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:39 pm

chaostheory1489 wrote: On the other hand, if you were to make the movie a real murder mystery and have it set in the 1920s with an art deco opening credit sequence perhaps, that would feel more like Clue to me. You could have the movie set up as a police investigation and the events of the weekend could be told by the Guests to the police (or Inspector Brown, maybe). You would then cut back and forth between the Investigation and the Weekend, and they could be differentiated by having the Investigation parts being in black and white and rainy while the Weekend part is in color and sunny. As the movie would start out in the Investigation part, the black and white would lend itself nicely to the murder mystery atmosphere. Also, if you wanted, you could spot color the Suspects so that their clothes are in color but the rest of the world is in black and white. Maybe once their name is said, their clothes become color or something, I don't know.

My point is, though, that there's a lot of potential in Clue for a movie.

Personally I never really liked the idea of Clue that much when it's treated like a police investigation. If the police are involved, why are the suspects solving it? The 1950's seem like a good time period for Clue, IMHO. However, I do perfer the 1910's or 1920's for Clue, or possibly in a Master Detective/VCR/1992 vein, possibly the 1980;s or even 1992 itself.

But a police investigation would really drag it down a bit. Part of the appeal from the first movie was that they were on their own due to the rainstorm and the police weren't arriving. That was an aspect close to the board game. Also I have no problem at all with Clue being comedic. I mean, one of the things I really dislike about the latest editions is that they seem to try and take things too seriously about it. There should be a humourful element to it all. I mean, the characters all have otherwise rather stupid names. How could you possibly take that seriously? I always liked it where they nicely fleshed out something individual and interesting for each one like the bios in Master Detective. Mrs. Peacock as a ornithologist? Perfect! Much better than 2003 boring, trite socialite.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:52 pm

I like both the humorous and serious points of view. I really like 1963, and that, without a doubt, is a very humorous interpretation. And 1992 is the most serious looking game to me. But I don't mind either of them. As for a new movie... I'd be lying if I said I didn't want another comedy. I just hope the humor isn't as dry and that Mrs. White is the maid. Those are the top 2 changes I would like to see.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:54 pm

1992 is probably the most serious I suppose, but for some reason, it works. They feel like our classic bunch.

I too hope for a comedy, I just hope it isn't solely based on slap-stick humour. Actually, I'm not quite sure what humour I really do enjoy. I hope the humour perhaps is more in tune with Sweeney Todd. The blood would be comical gush out like mad.

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:08 pm

See, I like the idea of the police investigation, because it doesn't make sense to me for the suspects to try to figure it out on their own. Honestly, if you killed someone, why would you try to help solve who killed that person? Although I do agree that the 1985 movie did do a good job at coming up at a plausible scenario for this to happen.

And I don't think the names are ridiculous. It might be a little farfetched for a group of friends to all have color names (although, really, Mustard, Peacock, and Plum are only seen as color names because the rest are color names) but I have seen all of these names in real life, so it's not as if they're made up or anything.

I prefer the more serious side of Clue. I mean, really, a group of people with color names is weird but a person named Peacock being an ornithologist is ok? That doesn't make sense to me.

Mostly, I think they should make a serious movie just because a comedic movie has already been done, and it'd be a nice change.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Huh

Post by Lord Caspen » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:00 am

I have so many mixed feelings about this.

Firstly, I love the original, and I hate remakes.

OTOH -- if they were remaking it and I had any chance of being cast, I have no problem slashing tires and throats to get a part.

But if they're not doing a remake, things get really tricky. A more serious movie would be fine, except -- nobody takes Clue seriously. I mean, 1) it's a family game, and 2) it doesn't play out like a real investigation, anyhow -- surely not anything like as scientific as CSI or as complex and unnerving as Law & Order.

But if you do a comedy, then you run the risk of doing exactly what every critic who pans Clue: The Movie says about it, which is namely that the mystery elements compete with the comedic elements, and the producers can't seem to make up their minds which the movie really is and it falls to pieces. I see some of what these critics mean in the original movie, but I think it manages to stay afloat despite its hiccups -- but a repeat of this process might not fare so well.

If they make a new one, though, I just hope to God it's not in any way Disney-fied. Do anything you like with it, but for the love of God:

1) there's got to be a little genuine sex, even if it's just talked about and not done, as in the original movie. Now, they mustn't say, "Oh, well, it's a slinky blonde, Miss Scarlet, isn't she, so there's your sex right there." No! There must be real "adult situations"

2) the murder should be, if not graphic, then at the very least very unpleasant. When I first saw the Cook fall out of the freezer (I was five?) I was very upset -- something about it was so awful, not just "too bad" but really ... Unsettling. If little kids aren't wanting to cover their eyes, then the producers haven't done their jobs! And if they are, perhaps the parents aren't doing theirs, but, I digress ...

3) nothing done half-assed, especially not the set! Every room should be a symphony of -- well, depends on the style, really -- but it should all plant us deeply in the atmosphere of this place, and, of course, we have to see all the rooms (even if, like the ballroom and conservatory of Clue: The Movie, they're practically just peeks).

4) I, personally, don't want the characters to be related to each other, and more importantly, I surely don't want them to have the cardboard cutout, flaky, cartoonish, childish kinds of descriptions and personalities of the last three or four editions of the original game. For the love of Mike! A little ingenuity, some real humor, and just one rotten touch of realism, PLEASE!

5) if there's going to be a love story, you're going to have to reinvent the wheel, because there are just too many tricks that are just too old that are likely to come up, and I'm not buying the least little one of them.

and lastly,

6) the movie should have a bigger purpose, even if only slightly. Like the original movie: it's about witch-hunts. Nice. Not only is it about them, but it's really more about that then it is about murder or anything else. And not love, please. Agatha Christies mysteries always turned out to be about love, at least in the movie versions, and that's depressing. And old. I mean, I guess it can be done well, but only if that love is really hard, if it costs something huge. So, I don't know, make it about war. Make it about corporations. Anything, but make an actual story about something bigger, and these people with the funny names just happen to get caught up in it together at a mansion someplace.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:42 am

We have to keep in mind though that Hasbro is a children's company, and if we are getting a line of movies with their products, we're going see kid's movies, whether we like that or not. That's part of the reason why I think Clue and Ouija might be hard to make. They deal with murder and the supernatural, two things one doesn't generally find in children's movies (a few notable exceptions, yes. Let's say at least that these things aren't handled well in those situations).

Obviously, I'd love a smart mystery complete with noir elements and a dash of humor, however, that probably isn't going to happen.

ProfessorPlum54
Special Investigator

Post by ProfessorPlum54 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:35 pm

Look's like we'll have to wait through at least 2 movies before (and if) they get to Clue.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 9cbc?imw=Y

Shmuger said Universal and Hasbro still are working out which brand will be the first project developed, but sources said it's likely to be Monopoly or Ouija. Hasbro COO Brian Goldner said Michael Bay and his Platinum Dune production company are signed on as producers for a Ouija project, and David Berenbaum has signed on to write a draft of a script. He said Hasbro is in negotiations with Ridley Scott on Monopoly. "We'd certainly like to see Ridley involved in Monopoly, but it's not done quite yet."
Green - "If he was such a patriotic American, why didn't he just report us to the authorities?"
Wadsworth - "He decided to put his information to good use and make a little money out of it. What can be more American than that?"

cluegirl104
"I NEED to watch the movie again!!"

Post by cluegirl104 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:14 pm

this is some serious sick *beep*!! What makes these people think we are going to go view this garbage?! well-people DID go see Stardust (me included unfortunately) and that was some seriously stupid junk!
Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless b!tch

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:22 pm

Hey... In my post on the New Movies thread, I just said that was a good movie!

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:21 pm

I enjoyed Stardust, lol.

I have to admit that I am REALLY surprised about a Ouija game. I never would have expected that one.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:30 pm

But hasn't that been done already? I seem to remember a movie called Witchboard or something of the sort...

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:44 pm

Yeah, there was an old movie about a Ouija board from the 80s. I don't remember the title though, but I think one of my friends owns it... I'll ask her.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:58 am

It was indeed called Witchboard. It was a film about a girl who, upon playing with an ouija board, invited the spirit of a killer into her house. She had to get rid of it before he killed everyone. It was a creepy film.