Master Detective VS Super Cluedo

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

For those of you who own both, which do you prefer?

Clue Master Detective
71%
Super Cluedo
29%

Total votes: 14

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Master Detective VS Super Cluedo

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:42 am

I am debating getting a Clue Master Detective. I already have the German Super Cluedo, but I don't really care for much of it. I don't like the artwork on Madame Mystique and Lady Sarah, and I hate how the central room exits out onto 2 different stories. It has nice artwork, but it just doesn't do it for me as a whole. I was wondering, for those of you who own both games, which one you prefer. Is Master Detective better than Super Cluedo? If not, then I don't think I'll get one. But I figured I would ask...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:50 am

Wow. Opinions change. You used to love Super Cluedo. :?

And while, I'm not crazy about Lady Sarah. I LOVE Madame Mystique.

I'm finding it hard to choose. I happen to love both for different reasons.

Master Detective feels like a classic cozy country gathering turned to murder, who Super Cluedo feels like an colourfully exotic party with a hint of noirish spy that's at the hight of WWII with a killer among them...

If I choose one. I will feel guilty for not choosing the other.

Somebody better help me make up my mind. :D

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:54 am

I don't remember ever really loving Super Cluedo. I remember complaining about the board having too much orange. And of course, the pawns aren't that flattering. But I do like most of the other character artwork. However, that's not one of the games I brought to the dorms with me, so I can't really see it up close right now.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:55 am

The pawns? How could you!?

I LOVE the pawns! They are so elegant and are a darn sight better than Master Detective's pawns.

In anycase, I think I will choose Master Detective to be on the safe side, so that I know I'm choosing an edition that is classic murder mystery, while Super Cluedo feels more intricate, immersing and abstract.....

On top of that, I also choose MD because I can actually play that with friends, and not *beep* them over with German they won't understand.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:35 am

I too must vote for MD. It is my favorite.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:59 am

MD is my favorite edition of all time. Mostly because it has the original Miss Peach. But besides that, I love the artwork because I like the realisitic approach to the suspects. Although Mrs. Peacock is hideous.

Anyway, I vote for MD.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:11 pm

I like the haggard Mrs. Peacock. It feels tongue-in-cheek.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:09 pm

SUPER CLUEDO :D

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:27 pm

Any reasons why, cacums?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:30 pm

Sorry i forgot :lol: I love the new modern look of it... though NO ONE likes the staircase matter.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:45 pm

I must admit that I love the Super Cluedo weapon and room card designs. And the moving tiles are such a huge plus, because I don't care for the yellow squares at all. But as for the rooms themselves, I think the MD rooms look much more cozy. The only rooms that I like more in SC are the Kitchen and Billiard Room. The Kitchen for the flooring and the Billiard Room because the table looks squashed in MD. The Dining Room is equally nice in both games. But I like the MD suspects more. IDK... I don't think I could really decide between the two.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:49 pm

As I only have Master Detective, I really can't help much with this thread except to say that I do enjoy Master Detective, but I think I might enjoy Super Cluedo more.

Master Detective is a great game, don't me wrong, but I find it too look far too dated. I don't really care much for the original six suspects' cards, either. The new suspects though are great. But the game does have a cozy feel and it is very fun to play, but I would prefer an update version.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:51 am

Sorry for reviving a zombie thread... but I just did a video comparison of the games, so this poll seems somewhat relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8zCKW5HSS4
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:32 am

Well put me down for Super Cluedo.

Some of that is because I'm so disappointed that Winning Moves just did a direct reissue of MD without any updating, except some changes that just don't make any sense, and I would have much preferred them using the Super Cluedo graphics, since that edition was never released in the US.

But, I also like SC's artwork better, the overall design, color scheme and integration. it's a more refined-looking game. Winning Moves could have used the same character names from MD (which I do prefer to the SC names), and just updated the look with SC artwork. I would have bought that game.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:35 am

I picked Master Detective.

The SC board just looks too inelegant. I do prefer the suspect and weapon depictions, though.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:18 pm

Master Detective for me, I can't stand Mr. De'ath!

MrGreenJeans
Slueth

Post by MrGreenJeans » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Master Detective all the way. De'ath and Mystique aren't colors. Love Brunette, Rose, Peach and Grey -- very happy to see them brought back into the spotlight with the app game.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:39 pm

MrGreenJeans wrote:Master Detective all the way. De'ath and Mystique aren't colors. Love Brunette, Rose, Peach and Grey -- very happy to see them brought back into the spotlight with the app game.
While I agree about De'ath and Mystique, I don't really agree about the board.
Michael wrote:I picked Master Detective.

The SC board just looks too inelegant. I do prefer the suspect and weapon depictions, though.
In a direct comparison the Super Cluedo Board is much more appealing to me. I prefer the colors, the added detail, the shading, and execution much better.

It's a shame in the re-issue they didn't put the MD logo in the large open grassy area of the Courtyard. I always thought it looked squeezed in as an afterthought on the MD board (both sides at that!), and of course it's omitted completely on the SC board. If I had to chose, I'd take SC without the logo. D'eath and Mystique could have both been fixed in a re-issue, which is why I guess I still prefer SC to MD in general.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:08 pm

11 years later, I prefer Master Detective.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:51 am

This is a tough one for me. I find CMD to be a very charming game, aesthetically. I'm not the biggest fan of the suspect art, but I appreciate what they were going for (even if they failed). I think it would have been better to just use artistic renderings of the VCR game's cast instead of sort-of-but-not-really re-imagining them for the card portraits (my lady in blue never deserved to look so terrible).

That being said: SC, in its reissued form, definitely has the superior card art. But I hate the board. It's no more than a spruced up re-do of the original board -- even the furnishings & layout of the interiors is largely the same. I don't know if it's the squares in the corridor or what, but it just looks too busy, to me. (EDIT: it's the color of the squares AND the gratuitous shadows from all the walls inside the house)

And those stairs...those fucking stairs...

The added details outside the house are nice, though. That I appreciate.

I have to give it to CMD. I'd like to see the SC card art with a better board. And in a perfect world, I'd like to see Peter Dobbin's suspect portraits from the mobile game make their way into an entirely new edition of the Master/Super game, hopefully with a board as well conceived as the current Hasbro standard.
"But look what happened to the cook!"