Which woman is perfect for Mr. Boddy?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Possible love interest

Miss Scarlett
No votes
Mrs. White
No votes
Mrs. Peacock
No votes
Dr. Orchid
No votes
Miss Peach
No votes
Madame Rose
No votes
Mrs. Meadow-Brook
100%
Lady Lavender
No votes

Total votes: 2

Jonathan Green
Detective

Which woman is perfect for Mr. Boddy?

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:46 pm

Though out Clue history, Mr. Boddy was always been portray as a bachelor. Sure he was married a few times, but he's known as a widower (except that one HUB mystery stories back in the early 2010s, before the miniseries).

Now there's a lot of female characters in Clue, so the question is...Which one would Boddy be romantically involved with?

As for me, I think Boddy would date Mrs. White.

For Dr. Black/Sir Hugh, Mrs. Peacock.

Also I think Boddy's wife in Clue: Candlestick is Dr. Orchid, due to her pink glasses and that Boddy had a file on her...Creepy...
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Re: Which woman is perfect for Mr. Boddy?

Post by MajorHoy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:26 am

Are you definitely ruling out the possibility that Boddy had been a closeted gay man?

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:47 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:26 am
Are you definitely ruling out the possibility that Boddy had been a closeted gay man?
Never imagine Boddy as gay, nor the other characters. I’m against gays, just never thought of the characters being in a LGBTQ+ relationship.

EDIT: NOT NOT I MEANT NOT!!!!
Sorry the typo!
Last edited by Jonathan Green on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:16 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:47 am
MajorHoy wrote:
Never imagine Boddy as gay, nor the other characters. I’m against gays, just never thought of the characters being in a LGBTQ+ relationship.
I'm not definitely thinking he was, but if Boddy was in a relationship with another closeted gay man and Boddy was thinking about announcing he (Boddy) was gay, that could be the murder motive if the other guy didn't want people figuring out he, too, was gay.

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:03 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
I'm with you on this. Adding elements like that ruin the entire story

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:59 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:

EDIT: NOT NOT I MEANT NOT!!!!
Sorry the typo!
I meant to say not anti-gay. Sorry for the typo.

MrGreenJeans
Slueth

Post by MrGreenJeans » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:04 pm

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:03 pm
Jonathan Green wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:
Your homophobia is showing (not Jonathan Green- I'm speaking to Sir Shamrock. God forbid a gay character ruin your precious heteronormative Clue.)

Also hate to ruin the 1985 movie for you, but Green identifies with that lifestyle in the movie. Ruined!

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:28 pm

MrGreenJeans wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:04 pm
Sir Shamrock wrote:
Jonathan Green wrote:

Your homophobia is showing (not Jonathan Green- I'm speaking to Sir Shamrock. God forbid a gay character ruin your precious heteronormative Clue.)
I don't think that what he means (hopefully). I think he means Boddy shouldn't be gay. I don't might gay characters in Clue, it's just in my Clue-verse, none of the suspects are gay. If you want some of the characters to be gay, go ahead I'm not gonna stop you. I'm a Christian and I don't might gay people. Jesus say to love everyone right?

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:22 am

MrGreenJeans wrote:

Also hate to ruin the 1985 movie for you, but Green identifies with that lifestyle in the movie. Ruined!
Actually, in the 'real' ending that is revealed to be a cover story - he is going home to sleep with his wife, not his husband.

And before I get accused of homophobia, I'm gay myself.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:59 am

Green, Plum, and Mustard have all been gay at one point. Just not at the same time in the same storyline sadly (as far as I know). I totally ship Plum with Green, Mustard, or Boddy.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:36 am

I’ve noticed that a lot of die hard Clue fans are gay men. Just like with Disney. I wonder what it is about Clue that draws us in. It’s no wonder we repeatedly see the male characters written as being gay these days, it’s playing to the demographic of the fan base.

In my idea for a fan fiction retelling of Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None I replaced each character in the book with a Clue character. Instead of Miss Claythorne (Miss Peach) and Mr Lombard (Mr Green) having a romance, I swapped Miss Claythorne for Dr Armstrong (Prof Plum) so that I could write a gay romance. I haven’t started writing this, it’s all just a concept right now, but if no one else is going to do it, might as well be me to create it.

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:46 am

MrGreenJeans wrote:
Sir Shamrock wrote:
Jonathan Green wrote:

Ok wow, that's not what I meant. I'm not homophobic, I'm sorry if it appeared that way. I just meant that sometimes the motives for an author to add that in is for political reasons, not for storytelling. I'm truly sorry everyone, that came out wrong.

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:40 am

Not to speak for others, but from my impression of the situation it was only MrGreenJeans that took any particular malice or homophobia from your comments. Personally, I pretty much default to heterosexual for the classic characters, but modern and alternate interpretations can go in any direction they want (and frequently do!) - in fact, one of the good things about Clue is that there are so many versions and so many ways you can interpret and insert your own ideas, it really helps make it something for everyone.

EDIT: On the subject of the women (in their more classic interpretations, I suppose), a quick breakdown would be:

Mrs White - the cook, depends on the continuity, she may have had a child with him (Sgt Grey), although in my head canon I see her and the older Sir (Dr) Black as being the ones that had the affair from which Sgt Grey was conceived
Ms Peacock - the socialite, is angling to add him to her list of husbands so she can get her hands on his money
Miss Scarlet - the actress, a femme fatale who uses her overt appeal to try and get closer to Boddy
Miss Peach - the southern belle, she seems sweet and innocent but it's all an act to charm her way into his confidence
Madame Rose - the clairvoyant, I like her as his relative, if not his sister then possibly an 'eccentric' aunt who has wasted her own inheritance chasing new age fads and fraudulent spiritualists
Mrs Meadow-Brook - the social climber, she is the widow of Boddy's attorney, Miles Meadow-Brooke, and presents herself as a woman of high society, but Boddy knows that she was originally just a maid before she married into money, a history she would do anything to keep from coming to light
Lady Lavender - the herbalist, older than Boddy, there may have been something between them in the past, but she was married to Lord Lawrence Lavender, right up until his untimely death...
Dr Orchid - the genius, she is usually described as Boddy's adopted daughter, so no romance between them - I want to lean into her not being his adopted daughter, it just doesn't feel right to me, but still be adopted into the family somewhere, perhaps as his sister?

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:59 pm

I understand both sides of it. I get that way with fairy tales, preferring them to be a lot closer to their original versions because it’s literary history of the values of the time. I love new spins and twists on fairy tales, but personally I rarely stray too far from the source material in my own work. Everything else though is susceptible to my imagination turning half the characters gay. Perfect example, I still picture Poe Dameron and Finn together.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:20 pm

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:36 am
In my idea for a fan fiction retelling of Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None I replaced each character in the book with a Clue character. Instead of Miss Claythorne (Miss Peach) and Mr Lombard (Mr Green) having a romance, I swapped Miss Claythorne for Dr Armstrong (Prof Plum) so that I could write a gay romance. I haven’t started writing this, it’s all just a concept right now, but if no one else is going to do it, might as well be me to create it.
Funny, I too think Peach would be Claythorne and Green as Lombard. I think Green would sound like Lombard from the miniseries. I was just rewatching on YouTube.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 pm

coinilius wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:40 am

EDIT: On the subject of the women (in their more classic interpretations, I suppose), a quick breakdown would be:

Mrs White - the cook, depends on the continuity, she may have had a child with him (Sgt Grey), although in my head canon I see her and the older Sir (Dr) Black as being the ones that had the affair from which Sgt Grey was conceived
Ms Peacock - the socialite, is angling to add him to her list of husbands so she can get her hands on his money
Miss Scarlet - the actress, a femme fatale who uses her overt appeal to try and get closer to Boddy
Miss Peach - the southern belle, she seems sweet and innocent but it's all an act to charm her way into his confidence
Madame Rose - the clairvoyant, I like her as his relative, if not his sister then possibly an 'eccentric' aunt who has wasted her own inheritance chasing new age fads and fraudulent spiritualists
Mrs Meadow-Brook - the social climber, she is the widow of Boddy's attorney, Miles Meadow-Brooke, and presents herself as a woman of high society, but Boddy knows that she was originally just a maid before she married into money, a history she would do anything to keep from coming to light
Lady Lavender - the herbalist, older than Boddy, there may have been something between them in the past, but she was married to Lord Lawrence Lavender, right up until his untimely death...
Dr Orchid - the genius, she is usually described as Boddy's adopted daughter, so no romance between them - I want to lean into her not being his adopted daughter, it just doesn't feel right to me, but still be adopted into the family somewhere, perhaps as his sister?
I have the same feeling for Rose (though I see Rose as a author and Boddy’s younger sis).

I see Orchid and Peach as both of Boddy’s adopted daughters.

I feel that Mrs. Peacock would be Boddy’s god-mother and Miss Scarlett is her daughter. Boddy would have see Scarlett more as a cousin than someone he date.

I like the idea of White being Boddy’s fiancee.
In a alternative timeline, Mrs. White is a young maid who has a secret relationship with Boddy. Much to the disapproval of Boddy’s uncle, Dr. Black.

Lady Lavender would be Boddy’s neighbor, both around the same age (Early 30s)

Mrs. Meadow-Brook would just be a family friend.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:51 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:20 pm
PrinceAlarming wrote:
Funny, I too think Peach would be Claythorne and Green as Lombard. I think Green would sound like Lombard from the miniseries. I was just rewatching on YouTube.
Anthony Marston - Miss Scarlet
Mrs Rogers - Mrs White
General MacArthur - Col Mustard
Mr Rogers - M Brunette
Emily Brent - Mrs Peacock
Justice Wargrave - Madame Rose
Dr Armstrong - Prof Plum
Mr Blore - Srg Grey
Philip Lombard - Mr Green
Vera Claythorne - Miss Peach
Fred Narracott - Rusty

I saw a lot of similarities between each pair of characters. The biggest stretch is probably Justice Wargrave and Madame Rose, but it made sense for the story. Madame Rose is avenging the death of Mr Boddy when his murder goes unsolved. The people gather at the mansion for Mr Boddy’s lawyer, M Brunette, to read his will. Madame Rose arranges for Rusty cut the phone lines and lock them inside the estate with no means of escape. Not knowing which one of them killed Mr Boddy, she knew they all took advantage of him financially and felt no guilt in taking their lives. Dr Orchid is briefly mentioned, but is deceased after a sloppy failed attempt to rob her adoptive father Mr Boddy, her panic and carelessness in her escape attempt caused her to lose her life.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:11 pm

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:51 pm
Jonathan Green wrote:
PrinceAlarming wrote:
Mrs Rogers - Mrs White
Mr Rogers - M Brunette
Dr Armstrong - Prof Plum
Mr Blore - Srg Grey
Fred Narracott - Rusty
I love this cast, but for Fred I’ll choose Captain Brown, Mr. Ashe for Rogers, and Dr. Black for Wargrave.

Also for U.N. Owens, Mr. Noah O. Boddy
N. O. Boddy
Nobody

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:36 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:11 pm
PrinceAlarming wrote:
Jonathan Green wrote:

Mrs Rogers - Mrs White
Mr Rogers - M Brunette
Dr Armstrong - Prof Plum
Mr Blore - Srg Grey
Fred Narracott - Rusty
I love this cast, but for Fred I’ll choose Captain Brown, Mr. Ashe for Rogers, and Dr. Black for Wargrave.

N. O. Boddy
Nobody
I’m not familiar with any of those characters 😅

These are the characters I know:

Miss Scarlet
Col Mustard
Mrs White
Mr Green
Mrs Peacock
Prof Plum
Mr Boddy

Miss Peach
M Brunette
Madame Rose
Sgt / Lord Gray

Prince Azure
Lady Lavender
Rusty
Mrs Meadow-Brook

Dr Orchid

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:39 pm

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:36 pm
Jonathan Green wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:11 pm
PrinceAlarming wrote:

Mrs Rogers - Mrs White
Mr Rogers - M Brunette
Dr Armstrong - Prof Plum
Mr Blore - Srg Grey
Fred Narracott - Rusty

N. O. Boddy
Nobody
I’m not familiar with any of those characters 😅

These are the characters I know:

Miss Scarlet
Col Mustard
Mrs White
Mr Green
Mrs Peacock
Prof Plum
Mr Boddy

Miss Peach
M Brunette
Madame Rose
Sgt / Lord Gray

Prince Azure
Lady Lavender
Rusty
Mrs Meadow-Brook

Dr Orchid
Mr. Ashe is Mr. John Boddy's butler in the 2000s game (FX and DVD Game)
Captain Brown is from Super Cluedo Challenge
Dr. Black is the UK Version of Mr. Boddy