The Airship Murder

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:52 pm

The rope is the 2nd weakest of all of the weapons in my opinion (no pun intended). The Lead Piping is the worst of them. I still don't know the rationale behind its inclusion in the game, especially when one considers the much more interesting choices submitted with the original patent.

Perhaps if it was steel cable, reflected by the pewter Rope tokens? No that's still a stretch ...

Anybody know when the plastic and pewter versions started showing up in the games?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:53 pm

Murder by Death wrote:The rope is the 2nd weakest of all of the weapons in my opinion (no pun intended).
Even if not intended, what exactly is the pun?

(I love the Lead Pipe as a weapon. It's an object that makes you think immediately of Clue when said, and it is so simple looking. Come to think of it, it's one of the only places I hear it being said. However I think you underestimate it's deadliness. Lead is heavy!)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:27 pm

CluedoKid wrote:Even if not intended, what exactly is the pun?
All of the other objects are steel, rope can fray and be easily cut. Weaker than steel ... I didn't say it was a good pun. ;-)
CluedoKid wrote:I love the Lead Pipe as a weapon.
I certainly understand after 60 years of Cluedo that one would associate the term with Cluedo. Hopefully all of the lead piping in the world has been long since replaced, so you wouldn't hear the term anymore. But I don't debate the effectiveness of it. If not used as a bludgeoning weapon, I suppose one could always affect a slow poisoning murder by filtering all the victim's drinking water through it.

My problem with the Lead Pipe is that it does not belong in the house. I mean really, where did it come from? Why would an elegant English Manor House have such a thing laying around to easily access for an impromptu murder? I suppose it goes along with the Spanner, but then that's sort of redundant. The Fireplace Tool is a far more realistic implement to be found in the estate house, and I bet after 60 years of hearing the term "P𐐄ker", it would likewise conjure up thoughts of Cluedo. Heck I would settle for the Cudgel in that regard. So I would prefer something else.

But I do see your point. It has now become a unique association with the game, like the top hat is with Monopoly, rather than a common generic item the likes of which appear in the updated Discover The Secrets.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:08 am

Murder by Death wrote:Why would an elegant English Manor House have such a thing laying around to easily access for an impromptu murder?
Simple. There are many reasons:

*The simplest reason would be that Mrs. White had to change a leaky pipe in one of the sinks. She removed the Lead Pipe, but got carried away with other business, she forgot to throw it out.

*Mr. Boddy is a pretentious modernist and had it on display as an abstract decoration.

*The Black Dog was out visiting the junk yard and came back to leave a long, metal present on the Hall rug. Bad doggie!

*It was Miss Scarlet's birthday present to Mr. Boddy. "Here darling, I know the thing that will make you tingle... Love S."

*It's always been in the house, since way back when. Nobody bothered with it, because nobody really cared. Mr. Boddy would try and remind Mrs. White to dispose of it, but he'd always get side-tracked to tell here. Eventually it just gets kicked around whenever it ends up in somebody's way -- rolling under a chair in the Library.

Oh there's many more...

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:56 am

The lead pipe was always my least favorite of the regular weapons. I would much rather have seen the poison be a weapon, but the lead pipe has become symbolic for Clue after all these years. It's just not Clue without it.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:27 am

I like the Lead Pipe actually. My least favourite weapon is the poison, just because it is "poison". You never know what poison it is, and Boddy very well may have been poisoned in the dining room hours before collapsing in the billiard room, in which case, would the killer have murdered him in the dining room or the billiard room? Questions, questions, questions...

I'm porbably rambling nonsensically, but I did just wake up.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:28 am

I love the Lead Pipe and the Poison. Must just be me.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:35 pm

Adam106 wrote:I love the Lead Pipe and the Poison. Must just be me.
And this should probably be it's own thread. LOL

But to bring this conversation back around to the original thread topic:

A lead pipe would definitely be out of place on a Zeppelin, given its weight, I would not be surprised if the water pipes in a dirigible weren't aluminum instead of even copper.

But in an Airship murder, poison fits right in ... most likely something quick acting or at least to cause instant paralysis thus preventing the victim from moving to another location prior to expiring.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:20 pm

Well... if I do ever get around to remaking this game, perhaps I'll just call it the "Pipe."

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:22 am

LOL, I forgot you used the pipe!

I also just realized yours is about 1/3 smaller than the regular game. I just found myself thinking that if for the next game if you did a full sized one perhaps you could do Clue: The Hindenburg Murder and have a more luxurious airship as depicted here. You could do the main deck, or the first class cabin deck (with the smoking room and crew spaces), using a more traditional gameboard layout. Perhaps do both using an even larger tri-fold Master Detective format. Or you could use the Graf Zeppelin II which never really saw service, but had an amazing interior.

Either way, it would be fun to have the bomb as a weapon. The idea being that you don't know where the murder was committed or how the victim was killed which is one of the more ludicrous problems with the original game anyway. Since a bomb going off on a hydrogen-filled Zeppelin would explode the Airship, proving the murder by the bomb results in the death of everyone. I don't know, just kind of a fun little twist on the traditional game.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:05 pm

I really like the idea of doing a tri-fold Airship game.

But I probably wouldn't use the bomb because the idea of the game is that the suspects try to solve the murder. With the entire zeppelin exploding, there would be no one left alive to discover the solution.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:09 pm

TheWhitePawn wrote:With the entire zeppelin exploding, there would be no one left alive to discover the solution.
Right, that's what I meant about the original game not making sense anyway.

If the body is found, then the method of murder should be obvious. Otherwise, where is the body and how do you know it has been murdered?
With the possible exception of the rope, there is also going to be blood in the room where the murder was committed, so that makes it pretty obvious as well.

The reality is that Clue is played much more like an after-the-fact discovery of the actual details of a murder with no actual evidence, rather than an in-the-moment investigation where all the evidence is present.

So it is yet another suspension of disbelief. In this case, I present the idea that the victim is missing and presumed dead. The mystery is to discover how exactly this occurred and in your game's case, "why", using the much more sensible motive cards. I'd also take the time-of-day cards as more sensible too.

If the method is the Bomb, then the realization dawns on the other passengers upon discovery at the resolution of the game that the victim has been tied up and left somewhere on the Zepplin with a bomb on a timer which goes off upon discovery killing everybody. Like I said merely a fun little surprise that can occasionally happen.

The concealment of the body works the same way here as it would in any version of Clue in which this conceit is used to make the circumstances more plausible. When it is discovered the victim is missing, all of the guests split up and search the house. The one who volunteered to search the room where the victim was murdered (or concealed) is the murderer. Since none of this actually happened, it becomes a retroactive realization after the game is solved.

Really you have hit upon the biggest problem with Clue. Using the items provided in the game makes it much more fun to play but much more illogical.

The best way to fix this would be to change the object of the game: The Victim was stabbed in the study with the knife. 1) Who murdered the victim, 2) When, and 3) why? But that takes a lot of the fun out of the game by eliminating the miniature weapons. It makes less sense moving around the board as well.

I suppose the room could be added back to the equation assuming the murderer cleaned it up. But there's no justifying the weapon unless they were all of the same type which more or less leave identical wounds. If there's going to be a gun, knife, poison, rope, and very different heavy objects. Adding a bomb to that doesn't make that game any less plausible – but as a game item, it adds more fun.

To be fair to you, the bomb was likely eliminated for exactly that reason: as it would make the room and weapon immediately obvious.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:37 pm

Oh my!

I am just finding all sorts of goodies.

Apparently, I started remaking The Airship Murder too. I guess I only got around to making one card tho...

It looks like I based it upon the original cards which I made for the first game.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:16 pm

That is beautiful. The style and era perfectly captured.

As you know before, I was never a huge fan of suspects being depicted as pawns so this is a huge improvement.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:20 pm

CluedoKid wrote:That is beautiful. The style and era perfectly captured.
Second!

Are you an art major?

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:22 pm

TheWhitePawn wrote:Oh my!

I am just finding all sorts of goodies.

Apparently, I started remaking The Airship Murder too. I guess I only got around to making one card tho...

It looks like I based it upon the original cards which I made for the first game.
Absolutely gorgeous!
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Murder by Death wrote:Are you an art major?
No, LoL... tho everyone keeps telling me I should be.

I'm a history major, with a certification in Psychology and Political Science education.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:43 pm

So... with Spring Break coming up, I decided to resurrect some of my digital Clue cards. Since making the board for The Midnight Murder is such a long process, I decided to use my newest suspects for a remake of The Airship Murder. Unlike the first one, I think I'm going to make this one a Card Game. Probably similar to the new Murder at Sea game, with a mini-board of the zeppelin.

I already altered my designs so that they fit a more luxurious art-deco theme. All I have to do now is make the room cards and mini-board.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:11 pm

Brilliant. I like the weapons cards much better than the earlier Midnight Murder effort. There's a definite contrast now that clearly defines the weapon. Can't wait to see the rest ... but if this is based on the new card game, where's the Mr. Boddy card? ;-)

Will they still be custom weapons? Or are you sticking with the original 6?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:17 pm

I love them!!