The Airship Murder

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Brian
Hawkshaw

Post by Brian » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:52 am

WOW! This is amazing work WhitePawn! I'd buy this game for $100. If you want... :lol: Only joking. Seriously though... If you want. :oops:
Clue

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:41 pm

It's good, but not 100$ worth. Of course the whole thing being one-of-a-kind might increase the price.

My favorite part of it would have to be the board and the card backs. Gives a air of sophisticated mystery. The stuff on the cards themselves are little disappointing, but it's not my game so...yeah.

Brian
Hawkshaw

Post by Brian » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:34 am

Oh? I like the cards very much. :wink:
Clue

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:58 pm

Too plain.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:04 pm

I wish we could have seen them closer

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:01 pm

Hey guys... sorry I've been gone lately, but school's getting so busy. And with student teaching comming up so soon, i need to make sure I pass all my tests with at least a B+. But anyway...

Um... since I last posted on this thread my laptop has broken and I needed to get a new one. All of the artwork for the game was on the old one. I still have the memory intact, but I don't have a way of retrieveing it. So, as for now, the game that I have will trully be a one of a kind.

If you are really interested in buying the game, though, I'll sell it for $80 plus shipping and handling. The only reason I lowered the price is that it won't come with the Ship's Log or the same detective notepads as on the pictures, since both of those files were saved on my old comp and I have no way of reprinting more.

On top of that, my new comp comes with Photoshop and not Picture It!

So let me know.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:29 am

TheWhitePawn wrote:Um... since I last posted on this thread my laptop has broken and I needed to get a new one. All of the artwork for the game was on the old one. I still have the memory intact, but I don't have a way of retrieveing it. So, as for now, the game that I have will trully be a one of a kind.
Oh NO! :(
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:28 pm

Well... I was able to retrieve the artwork since that post. Which also means, Michael, that I got those book files! :D

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:36 pm

Oh thank goodness!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Fantastic Work

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:57 pm

I know this is a very old thread, but one deserving of resurrection.

It captures my fancy, not only because I love Zeppelins, but it is so well done.

I recently brought it up in my topic, Rules for Making A Good Clue Game, and realized I should simply ask the creator and anyone who has played it, about the layout and how it contributes to maneuvering around the board.

Does having a central game path work as effectively as the original?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:29 pm

LoL! I totally forgot about this game! It's buried somewhere in my closet.

It's been so long since I played any Clue game, this semester is just so busy!

It would be fun to re-create this game sometime though. My computer art has improved so much since then.

But about the layout... I didn't find it to be a problem. I spaced out the doors so that you still have to move a minimum of 4 spaces in between rooms. I only played a handful of games on that board, but I don't ever remember it posing a problem :D

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:34 pm

TheWhitePawn wrote:I totally forgot about this game! It's buried somewhere in my closet....I only played a handful of games on that board, but I don't ever remember it posing a problem :D
Well it's an amazing job, definitely dig it out! It embodies everything I come to expect from Cluedo. Clue belongs in another era and setting in order to allow such casual sport about such a serious subject. But I do love the Geoffrey Parker designs myself, for the simple elegance. Was this the version you refer to earlier in the thread, or did you mean the Dunhill or Zontik versions designed by Parker?

I'm glad to know the layout did not impede the game.

But I'm still confused about one thing ... you kept the players and weapons at 6 each, but added 4 rooms ... as well as 5 additional "motives".

Did you feel this prolonged the game? And why only 5 "motives", not a 6, and 13 rooms instead of 12? Was the extra room offset by the fewer "motives"? What was your logic?

Just looking at the balance of the game, I wonder why Anthony Pratt patented the game with essentially equal characters, weapons and rooms (9/9/9), but them Waddington's eliminated 3 characters and weapons, but not rooms (6/6/9). Was it simply to reduce the game time?

Special editions add an extra weapon, which I assume doesn't change the game significantly (6/7/9). But then Master Detective adds 4 characters, 2 weapons and 3 rooms – NO symmetry at all (10/8/12)! The only difference in the rules help speed up the game. Cluedo Challenge returns to the balanced rooms, weapons and characters at 9 ea., but introduces a completely different set of complicated rules, presumably to keep the game at a reasonable length (and eliminating much of the fun if you ask me).

Is there some mathematical symmetry here that helps make for a good balance for the players? Or is it just arbitrary individual preference?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:03 pm

To be honest, it was really a system of guess and check. I wanted to make sure that player's pawns can walk around with a room relatively close by from every location. It gets kind of boring when all someone does in clue is walk around. The fun parts happen once you're inside the room.

As for the suspects and weapons... I am a fan of the originals. Although I did change all of the weapons to bludgeoning ones for the sake of avoiding a continuous nitpick I found in the game (How can you not tell a strangling apart from a bullet wound?) I usually do not like the new suspects.

If I did the game again, I would probably keep the original 6 weapons. Now that I look back, the nitpick doesn't really bother me so much anymore. I think I would also make it more colorful. Although I like the simplicity of the black and white, I do like the colorful simplicity of the dunhill edition more. Perhaps I can remake this game as a side project one day.

But if you are planning on making your own game, the biggest 2 pieces of advice I can provide are: Make sure you are at least somewhat skilled in computer art and make sure that whatever you're working on means a lot to you. I can't even begin to name how many projects on this forum were abandoned halfway (if that) through.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Weapons & Motives

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:37 am

TheWhitePawn wrote:Although I did change all of the weapons to bludgeoning ones ...If I did the game again, I would probably keep the original 6 weapons.
Speaking of which, I just realized that your game did not seem to have weapons tokens. Did you intend to play without them? Otherwise you might have some trouble securing miniatures of some things like tenderizers, which using the originals avoids.

I loved the idea of "motives". I think the only other game to add something like that was the DVD game with the "time of day" cards. But I would assume that the motives were never intended to be represented physically. Or did you intend to represent the motives with physical objects as depicted on the cards?

I think part of the charm of the original game was that there was something tangible to represent every guess, but as the movie showed us, the motives behind the murders are just as important.

Also, you didn't really post the rules for the Airship game (that I noticed) – how were the players to start the game? Were they to first exit their cabins/staring spaces prior to making their first guess, or were they allowed to make a guess on their first turn?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:08 am

I added the motives to increase the length of gameplay. Although Cluedo was originally marketed as 2-6 players, the company must have realized that 2 player games are often very short, so they changed to rules to 3-6 players. Adding more suspects and weapons doesn't really increase gameplay by a lot.

But adding a new category does because you are only showed one card at a time. So... if you suggest a person place and weapon, 2 cards of which you have, you know right away whether the 3rd card is in the solution envelope. By adding a 4th category, you are less likely to have all of the cards that you want to suggest with, forcing you to move around the board more and vary your suggestions.

And no, I did not use any physical representations of the weapons or the motives.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:34 am

TheWhitePawn wrote:I did not use any physical representations of the weapons or the motives.
It certainty makes sense for the motives and considering you were using non-standard weapons. Of course, adding more weapons, characters and rooms would also add to the difficulty. Good to know doing so does not substantially increase the length.

However something just occurred to me from your earlier discussion about using only bludgeoning objects ... there is absolutely nothing that says the dagger or revolver were used conventionally. Certainly both could have been used to bludgeon. That leaves only the rope which would have left obvious signs as to whether it was used or not. So a standard set of replacement tokens would serve any custom set.

The bigger problem with a Zeppelin setting is that a revolver would not have been allowed onboard due to the risk of igniting the hydrogen gas (which is not to say one could not have been smuggled onboard. Certainly there would not have been a candlestick (except as a gift item).

Thanks for the answers and advice. THere's great inspiration here. Hope to see more out of your Clue studio!

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:43 pm

Murder by Death wrote:However something just occurred to me from your earlier discussion about using only bludgeoning objects ... there is absolutely nothing that says the dagger or revolver were used conventionally. Certainly both could have been used to bludgeon.
Good point! I never would have thought of that.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:44 pm

As could the Rope...say it was a tougher brand and clutched in a bunch.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:46 pm

LoL... that might be a bit of a stretch...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:46 pm

Nice pun, whether intended or not.