The Airship Murder

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

The Airship Murder

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:13 am

Okay... so after much thought, I have decided to undertake a new Clue project. As I proposed in the other thread, it will take place aboard a zeppelin. I will try to make it work, somehow... though there is no guarantee of success, of course.

As for now, I have decided to focus my efforts on the board. I will decide the mechanics of the game later. Perhaps I will develop those while designing the board. I will get started on a basic grid tonight, and hopefully have it posted by tomorrow afternoon. :D
Last edited by TheWhitePawn on Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:50 am

Fascinating.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:51 am

Okay... here is the first basic grid. It'll probably change before the final one... but I'm getting tired, so I'll do the rest tomorrow.

If I use all the rooms this one provides, there will be 16 possible murder locations (not counting the hallways). And I state that only because I think the pieces will have to move through the rooms themselves... otherwise the game would be too easy... especially by the quarters area.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:19 pm

Well, I'm sad to say that I've already run into problems. If I make the characters walk through the rooms, there would have to be things for them to get to... kind of like in Super Sleuth. But I am kind of anti-that because it makes the first half of the game basically a race game. But if they don't walk through the rooms, then everyone would just stay in the crew quarters for most of the game because they can get to another room in just three spaces.

Unless I think of something else, I think I'll just scrap this project for now. Besides... I kind of forgot how much planning making a new game took. Maybe one was enough for now :P

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:48 pm

Don't give up. Perhaps you could reduce the rooms to ten or so, and make them further away.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:08 pm

Oh, it's not only that. Redesigning the board would be easy enough. But ever since I remade the Great Museum Caper, no one wants to play Clue anymore. They all say that the GMC is a lot better. And since the mechanics of this game wouldn't be like GMC, I doubt I'd get a single person to play with me. :-(

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:09 pm

Yeah, I'd just make the rooms bigger. I mean, most of your rooms are only 2 spaces wide. While it does make for a challenging game play and easier to trap someone in a room, that bottlenecking might drive people mad and make them not enjoy the game. I wouldn't give up.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:42 pm

Okay... so I thought about it, and I think I have the perfect solution for the game. I will not get into the details of play right now, since the mechanics are not 100% complete, but I have decided to go through with the game. It will not play entirely like regular Clue, though.

I have begun on the artwork, and I will work on the board throughout next week. I am also going to buy 6 passport covers, since we sell them at Walgreens (where I work :wink: ) and those will be used to hold the detective sheets.

Here are the card backs for now...

Oh yeah... I changed "Death In The Clouds" to "The Airship Murder" since DITC kept reminding me of the Agatha Christie book of the same name.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:18 am

I decided to work on the weapon cards first. I just finished the candlestick. It took like an hour to make though... so I hope the rest will be a smooth process. Here it is... a lot smaller than actual size, of course... but you get the idea. I want to make the entire game a kind of black and white (w/ a tiny bit of color) spin... sort of like the Hitchcock Clue. As you can probably tell, I want to make the artwork more cubic too... but not as cheesy as the 2002 :P

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:39 am

And here is the lead pipe. Now... I don't think I mentioned this yet... but I have decided to use all blunt weapons in this clue. Cuz I mean come on... you can't tell if Mr. Boddy was shot or stabbed? So this will make it more realistic.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:14 am

And the wrench...

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:45 am

Yay! First non-standard weapon... the Kitchen Hammer.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:11 am

Those look very interesting. They remind me of the Passport to Murder weapons, all gray with a colorful background. Personally, I love the style you are going for. Your lead pipe looks a little like one of those telescope things pirates use, but I still love the look of them. Have you decided on suspects yet? Or will I just have to wait in suspense?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:20 am

Thanks!

And yeah... you'll have to wait for suspects :P

Sorry. But those will take a much longer time to make.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:08 am

Self explanatory... the vase

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:17 am

Well... I am getting tired so I will decide on what the final weapon(s) will be tomorrow. I should have their corresponding cards up either tomorrow night or Tuesday afternoon. After that... I'll probably start the room cards. :D

Oh yeah... I am also getting the supplies I need for the board tomorrow too (a.k.a. a similar wooden/glass box that I got for my Great Museum Caper, except in black) and maybe those passport booklets and some miniature pencils, dice, etc... so that'll be fun :D

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:17 am

I love the look of your weapons. They have a sleek and elegant quality about them! I'm all for your cubic look!

But I am however a bit a dissapointed that you will only doing bludgeoning weapons. Sure it's more realistic, but it's a lot more boring. If you are all for realism however and still we can keep the knife, rope, gun, etc..., perhaps the body was thrown off the zeplin and there were some witnesses. When they gathered up all the passengers, they determined it was Mr. Boddy or whoever is dead who was the one murdered because he was missing.

That way, the body can't even be examined.

Also you can't totally make the game realistic. That's why we call it artistic licence. I mean the suspects solving a mystery? Get real. It's the police who do that. Even if there are none on the blimp, they would wait for landing before investigation and hold back everybody.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:27 am

Well, as I said above... the mechanics of this game will be different from regular Clue. I will explain them as soon as I am finished tweaking the remaining portion. If I find a way to make it all work, I'll keep it. If not, I'll just go with the standard Clue rules.

I'm glad you like my weapons. But making them all blunt weapons was one of the first decisions I made about the game. My favorite weapon (the rope) will not even be portrayed... but that's okay because that little part of the game always bothered me, so it makes up for it. I think I have finally decided on the last weapon... and I must say that it's very appropriate to Clue. :wink:

I'll post it as soon as I am finished with it.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:00 pm

Okay... I finished the last weapon. Here they are all together...

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Unless, the examination of the body is part of game play, I don't see why the body couldn't of been thrown off the airship and the wound simply not disclosed.

That way, you wouldn't have to sarcrifice the varieties of ways to die. Personally, I would of loved to see the creative ways you could of done the knife or revolver.

Oh well its your game, It's only my personal opinion that the only option of death could be a battering on the head is a bit stale and boring.

But like I said, you do present the weapons very beautifully. I wish I could make then as nice as that.
Last edited by CluedoKid on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.