The New DVD Game -- Good or Bad?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

profplum30
Snoop

The New DVD Game -- Good or Bad?

Post by profplum30 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:23 am

I'm probably getting it for Christmas and, judging by the way Clue Mysteries is played, I'm expecting nothing as challenging as Clue VCR. Any comments from those who have played it?
"Flames...on the side f my face..."

Das Jabberwock
Gumshoe

Post by Das Jabberwock » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:17 pm

I haven't played it, but it certainly caught my attention. I think it might be some fun.
I'll let you know if I get it and play it before Christmas.
There comes a time in every zombie illustrator's life....
When they realize that people with crowbars, shotguns, and chainsaws aren't friends.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:31 pm

Well from my standpoint, I haven't played it. But from what I seen, it looks terrible. The premise is too childish and goofy for my taste. Same with the characters.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:38 pm

I own it, and it is quite fun. I would highly recommend it. It is not AS challenging as Clue VCR, but I wouldn't say it was easy either. It does take quite a bit of sleuthing to find out what the clues mean and why they are significant. I would say it would make a great Christmas Present.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:10 pm

I LOVE the playability of the DVD game. But the accusation process takes FOREVER. That's probably the biggest downside. Everything else is great.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

cluegirl104
"I NEED to watch the movie again!!"

Post by cluegirl104 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:34 pm

agreed-it is a lot of fun! :D
Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless b!tch

thetrixrabbit
Spy

Post by thetrixrabbit » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:15 pm

We had a blast playing it. Agreed that the accusastion process is tedious, BUT the secret passageway happenings ROCK!

TheNunOwnedGoat
Suspect

Post by TheNunOwnedGoat » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:42 am

I tried playing it with two other people, and ran into a problem.

We were playing the General Case. With that, the solution is different each time, which increases the re-playability. I guess I didn't want to play a specific case because I could only play that once, and I wanted to have a good idea about how I was going to play.

Now, at first only two options were avalible - take a secret passage and view an item card. Unfortunately, it would never move from this. Occasionally, the inspector asked to see us, where he told one player to show everyone one of his/her cards. Besides, this - nothing changed.

I figured that eventually, another option would become avalible -- it didn't. Eventually, the other two players stopped and went off to do other things while I tried to figure it out. I sat there and kept pressing "view item card" but nothing else would happen.

Does anyone know what was wrong? Could someone please tell me how I could make it work? Thanks.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:19 pm

I think that's just how the General Case works. The other options do become available after playing around a while in the specific mysteries (i was playing around with number 8 and learned this). There are certain things that the Genral Case just doesn't do. I think the Inspector's Notes are not used in the General case because the disc doesn't know the solution, and, therefore, would not have a note in the booklet for you to peruse.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:27 pm

Is there any voice and acting from the 10 suspects?

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:05 pm

No. The animation are all mostly Ashe and Brown. The suspects appear as still images against various beckgrounds, depending on when they are mentioned in a hint from Ashe. Actual still-lifes of the scenes described would have been nice, but instead we get recycled "signature poses" for each character (basically a drawn version of their playing pawn; similar to the artwork on the buildings in Clue Mysteries).

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:57 pm

Well that's too bad. I might of considered getting the game if perhaps there were some character animation seqences like the VCR games, but evidently there isn't. Hence, I find the cover art of the box a little misleading to beleive that there will be some sequnces involving the characters.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:48 pm

The demo on the official site gives a great example of how the game works. I'd take a look at it before giving up completely.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:04 pm

I did, aside from getting a glimpse of the room animations, I didn't care much for it. Sadly this DVD game could of been good if they went a seperate direction with it. Perhaps with some acting, and restoring the murder mystery for one thing would be a good step in the right direction.

Jay Beeskow
"Apparently, I'm most like Wadsworth."

Post by Jay Beeskow » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:30 pm

It's all a matter of opinion. I find the game to be quite enjoyable.

profplum30
Snoop

Oh pooh

Post by profplum30 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:13 pm

I didn't get the game for Christmas...but the comments about there being no actual animation or acting make me feel better. I'll probably pick it up at Target when it's reduced in price simply for the collectability (sp?) of it, but I'm putting it in the same category as Clue Mysteries for now.
"Flames...on the side f my face..."

Jay Beeskow

Post by Jay Beeskow » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:41 pm

"I don't like Clue to begin with, but this DVD game seemed less boring. Still, I'd much rather play Trivial Pursuit."
- Jay Beeskow

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:30 pm

Ellen Degeneres did a funny thing on Trivial Pursuit in one of her sketches. she said something to the effect of:

"I learned this playing Trivial Pursuit, which I just hate - don't clap - I think stupid people hate it the most because....(audience laughs) I tried to stop you. You're sitting there waiting for it to be your turn so you can 'I don't know. Danny Kaye, I don't know.' I get the question that says 'What is the only animal that mates while going 80 miles an hour?' Danny Kaye was a bad guess, I realize that now."

But I agree, Trivial Pursuit is impossibly hard. Unless it's Disney Trivial Pursuit, in which case I have yet to be beaten.

There are only two downsides to the game. The first is that it takes a while for Mr. Ashe and Inspector Brown to get involved, and then, like Michael says, the solving process takes a little too long.
Last edited by Niteshade007 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay Beeskow

Post by Jay Beeskow » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:45 pm

Trivial Pursuit doesn't interest me. The questions are terribly difficult in my opinion. Jay probably likes it because he always wins. At this recent visit to Jay's house, we played the Clue DVD game. He was so bored he ended up smoking.

schroeder562
Spy

Post by schroeder562 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:37 am

I got it for christmas and I've only played it about 2 times. It takes some getting used to and how to figure out how to play but other than that, I liked it, just a little time consuming, like all games I suppose, and there are a few downside also, like somebody said, the accusation process.