Clue North Pole Edition

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

ragstorichesfan
Snoop

Clue North Pole Edition

Post by ragstorichesfan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:05 am

Hasboro site has a Clue North Pole edition and a new Clue card game listed. I can't find ordering information yet,but they look cool.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Re: Clue North Pole Edition

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 pm

It's the Clue game with a holiday twist! In this suspenseful game, players have to find out which elf is responsible for taking all the holiday gifts. Get the scoop on the characters, items, and rooms, and start detecting! Was it Plumtart with the candy cane in the Toy Workshop? Or Pinewreath with the fruitcake in the Reindeer Stable? Eliminate information throughout the game in this whodunit. When a player is ready to make an accusation, they secretly look at the cards placed in the Sleigh Room on the game board to reveal Who, What, and Where. A correct accusation wins the game!

Hasbro Gaming and all related terms are trademarks of Hasbro.

• Includes paper gameboard, 2 dice, 6 colored tokens, 19 cards, 6 molded items, detective notepad, and game rules.
• HOLIDAY VERSION OF THE CLUE GAME: This board game for kids features classic Clue gameplay and a holiday theme
• UH-OH THE PRESENTS ARE GONE: Everyone in Santa's village is ready for the big day but the presents go missing! In this Clue North Pole Edition game players try to solve the holiday mystery
• WHO, WHAT, WHERE: Players try to solve the mystery of the missing presents, and six elves are suspects. Discover whodunit with what and where
• FUN FAMILY GAME: The Clue North Pole game is a really fun board game to play when the family gets together for the holidays. For ages 8 and up

• Ages 8 and up
• For 3-6 players.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

ragstorichesfan
Snoop

Post by ragstorichesfan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:09 pm

would you be willing to post a picture of the new Clue Card game as well?

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:26 pm

ragstorichesfan wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:09 pm
would you be willing to post a picture of the new Clue Card game as well?
Sure
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:26 pm

Here's the image of the board:
This is a cute idea for a Christmas Clue game

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:30 pm

Telling from the image above, the items are:
Bells
Fruitcake
Scarf
Hammer
Candy Cane
& Rolling Pin

The characters are going to be elves (and if you look to your left, you can see Scarlett as an elf.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:38 pm

This looks like it's going to be a series of Christmas themed games. Candy Land got one:

Unrelated but I discovered that one of my favorite artists, Luigi Lucarelli, worked on the Guess Who card game:

https://www.artstation.com/luigil

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:12 pm

I'm curious about the characters. Obviously from the Dr. Orchid Elf and the names. It's their face on a small elf body with more silly elf names like Plum Tart. But the pink piece being orange while Orchid is shown on the box cover is odd.

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:46 pm

Any word on what stores are carrying North Pole Clue? I didn't see them at Target or Books a Million. Even tough I've seen their special editions their. but no christmas one.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:14 am

Lord Leo Le Blanc wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:46 pm
Any word on what stores are carrying North Pole Clue? I didn't see them at Target or Books a Million. Even tough I've seen their special editions their. but no christmas one.
https://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-Gaming-CL ... 07MWPXY7B/

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:14 am
Lord Leo Le Blanc wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:46 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-Gaming-CL ... 07MWPXY7B/
Thank you!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:36 pm

It's here ... unboxing to come shortly:

Initial impression: This is an incredibly cheap game.

WARNING -- If you order this from the Amazon link above, instruct the seller to ship in a box. Mine was shipped in a soft bubble pack, and was easily crushed, splitting the seams of the thin cardboard box. We will see about the contents, but the box itself suggests a cheap stocking stuffer edition for one time holiday use.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:14 pm

Here's the unboxing:

All of the parts are stacked. Note the weapons must be separated from the plastic frame, as well as the cards separated.

Note that even though there's one extra card space on the template, instead of giving an extra card back to serve as a spare card, we get a blank! This is my pet peeve! The cards themselves are quite cheap. These will only last a few games in small hands before they are bent and mutilated.

Note that the marketing materials were quite accurate. For some strange reason, the Orchid character is orange instead of pink. That's a pretty big error. But at least the playing pieces have already been separated, unlike the weapons. As you can tell, the weapons are huge!!

Next comes the game board. It's folded into six equal parts, elongated like a Clue Jr. board -- however, it's laid out more like the recent Road Trip edition. While the board itself is made of heavy cardboard, it's so cheap that it will most likely never lay flat.

The artwork itself is clever and well done. As mentioned there's a start space like the Road Trip edition, and only 7 rooms, laid out around an unused central space. The corner rooms have the usual secret passages to opposite diagonal corners, so the Road Trip jump-to-any-room spaces do not extend to this game. I do wonder if we will see more of that feature on other games of this type. Also, unlike Road Trip, the center room is used for the cards, and not keeping track of revealed clues.

For my taste, like Road Trip, I'd rather have 9 rooms, and use the center space as the "Sleigh Room", along with the Start/"Break Room". A couple of spare cards would have made that easy to do!!

Thankfully, a lovely detective note pad is included, and of decent size. For my money, this is about which Elf murdered Santa Claus! As all of those items could easily be used as weapons ... well I haven't quite figured out how the bells would kill anyone, but I'm sure there's a way -- maybe a choking hazard!

The cards themselves are a lovely design too. It's unfortunate they are so flimsy.

Lastly, the instructions follow gameplay more or less the same -- with the exception of the start space. Of course, I reject the premise totally. The Elves have killed someone, be it Santa; the Head Elf -- Mr. Coalboddy; or perhaps even Rudolph; to keep Christmas from coming!

Last edited by Murder by Death on Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:23 pm

Finally here’s a presentation of the whole game setup for play.

I’ve included a Sharpie and a regular edition Clue card for size reference. The pawns are essentially full-sized, and don’t really fit on the start space, and are a bit too large for the spaces as well. The weapons are massive. The dice are travel size, as are the playing cards. The detective notepad is somewhere in-between.

There’s absolutely no reason not to have a full-sized deck of cards, other than cost. The playing board could also be slightly larger to accommodate the playing pieces. The weapons are just too big, even for a normal game. And whoever thought a cylindrical rolling pin was a good idea was mistaken — it rolls everywhere, and especially on his cheap board that doesn’t lay flat.

All things considered this is a cute theme with some great artwork. It’s too bad Hasbro decided to go ultra-cheap here. The box makes for a terrible storage option as it does not hold the contents securely, and is easily crushed. The board doesn’t lay flat, and the flimsy cards will be destroyed in short order. It’s not exactly a travel edition, and not exactly a home edition. So consequently the parts don’t all fit together functionally. It’s really exactly what it looks like — a stocking stuffer intended to be played a few times on Christmas Day, and forgotten, if not discarded by New Years. Chocolate would make this game a little more enjoyable.

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:58 am

Darn, it is too bad that they went so cheap as this looks cute and like it would be a nice little holiday themed game - at least the flimsy cards means that it might be easy to make your own cards and slip in without it being too obvious, as I too would look at making the sleigh shed and the 'start' space into rooms to increase the room count up to 9 (players could start in different corners of the board easily enough).

The weapon pieces look nice and it would also be a nice source for playing pieces, if you needed some extras for another game. Otherwise it looks like it does enough for what Hasbro wants it to do - be a cheap stocking-stuffer Christmas gift that probably won't last until the next holiday season...

EDIT: The playing pieces being too big is a real pet-peeve of mine with a lot of these cheap games - not only are they too big for the start space but they look like they are too big for the travel spaces on the board as well. It just feels bad to me when you're playing a game with pieces that are the wrong size.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:25 pm

coinilius wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:58 am
Darn, it is too bad that they went so cheap as this looks cute and like it would be a nice little holiday themed game - at least the flimsy cards means that it might be easy to make your own cards and slip in without it being too obvious, as I too would look at making the sleigh shed and the 'start' space into rooms to increase the room count up to 9 (players could start in different corners of the board easily enough).

The weapon pieces look nice and it would also be a nice source for playing pieces, if you needed some extras for another game. Otherwise it looks like it does enough for what Hasbro wants it to do - be a cheap stocking-stuffer Christmas gift that probably won't last until the next holiday season...

EDIT: The playing pieces being too big is a real pet-peeve of mine with a lot of these cheap games - not only are they too big for the start space but they look like they are too big for the travel spaces on the board as well. It just feels bad to me when you're playing a game with pieces that are the wrong size.
Yes, you should be able to print from these scans onto full sized-cards, as well as print a couple of extras to be the "Break Room" and "Sleigh Room". The board artwork for those rooms could also be easily printed for the card faces. I would actually like to enlarge the board as well and print on an 11x17 card stock board for a smoother playing surface. The detective notes are easily updated as well. A larger board then solves the problem of the mismatched tokens. And then you could use the actual tokens with the correct colors from another game! You could also use the USAopoly tokens with the small colored bases, and print the characters out on cardboard inserts. I actually don't mind that approach either -- as it adds some additional character to the game. The only other thing needed would be character start stickers for the positions on the board.

Funny how this game is clearly worth the effort, but so poorly executed it's more like a do-it-yourself edition to be reprinted properly.

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:03 pm

Printing everything out larger would be a good idea - would certainly help make the pieces match and would be easier to do some editing before printing to add new start spaces around the board. I ordered myself a copy of this after reading your take on earlier lol

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:43 pm

thank you for reviewing this game and taking amazing pictures! Awesome art. Sad about the quality of the actual game.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:14 pm

RULES and MOVEMENT:

Hasbro seems to be instituting a new rule with these editions -- you my stay in the room you're in after you roll the dice, and guess again in that location. Has that rule been implemented in any of the standard editions?

Also, I have a few issues with the way the Sleigh Room and Start/Break Room are setup.

The Sleigh Room has doors on all four sides, clearly intended to enter the room, just like all the others. I have to wonder if there was some other purpose for the Sleigh Room originally. Was it actually designed as a location? Perhaps it was the original start location, or intended to be used as a race to accuse destination like the Pool Room in DTS?

The Start/Break Room space also has doors on three sides. Clearly these are intended as exit points for the pawns. However, the two side doors do not line up with a single space, they're halfway between two spaces. That's just lazy in my mind. So how are they used then? Can the player exit onto either space?

That said, if the layout of this game were to be updated to move the start positions to the outside hallways as in a standard game, my suggestion would be to put straddle the start spaces between the two tiles as the room artwork already encroaches on them, not to mention the shrubs. If so, then I would assume the player could exit onto either tile.

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:46 pm

The Sleigh Room definitely looks like it could have been intended as a functional room at some point in the development of this game - if they are going to have a singular room as the start location, it makes more sense to me to have that room be the central one (it can be the denouncement room as well if they want to go that way as well).

The start room doors straddling two tiles on the side exits/entrances seems particularly bad as a design element as that room actually is used in game play - I assume you can exit the room from any of its three doors? That brings up another issue with the start room - what do you really do with it after you exit?