Clue Pawns.

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Clue Pawns.

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:36 am

I'm curious about which Clue playing pawns people like to use, some like the newer pawns because they resemble the figures, while some may like the classic con and sphere look.

Personally I hate the MD pawns. Somebody on another site pointed this outand they are absulutly right. Peach pawn and the Rose pawn look too similar and are wrongly coloured, they ought to be darker. I also cannot tell the difference between the Green pawn and Peacock's pawn under dim light. Peacock can look like forest Green, and Green can look like a aqua blue.

The love the Super German Cluedo pawns. They are better coloured, I like that Rose is now Orange and Peach is now Pink, better contrast. Plus I think I like the fact that they are smaller and better shaped, with curvyness. Truely much more stylish.

I also happen to like the 50th Aniversary pawns because of the figures on the bases, same goes for the 2000 Cluedo and PTM, 50th Aniversary just does it more elegantly.

I find the 2003 pawns too ugly for my liking. Their eyes are ugly and they are too cartoony.

One of the best pawns ever are the Super Cluedo Challenge pawns. I live the idea of the coloured busts!

cluegirl104
"I NEED to watch the movie again!!"

Post by cluegirl104 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:14 am

i love teh 50th anniversery and super cluedo slueth (even though they kind of plumped most of the characters)
Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless b!tch

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:01 am

I like the plain plastic pieces such as in the 86' or 92' games. It seemed that they were the standard for all boardgames - and thus represent fun in my mind.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:15 am

they do-those are fun also! and the wooden ones just seem old to me! i can't really hate any of them-except the new ones (they are soooo u.g.l.y!)

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:19 am

I love the Limited Gift Edition pawns most (As can be seen by my icon). They are fantastic. I always loved wooden pawns... but these are even better because of the brass base. I also love how tall they are. Very very elegant.

I think the 50th anniversary pawns would be my favorite if not for 2 gripes: Miss Scarlet and Mrs. White. They did a remarkable job on the other peices, and they look just like their character cards except for these two. Both of these figure's faces look so flattened out and ugly. Mrs. White almost looks like a pig. And I hate the length of her skirt. I wish it was a bit longer, like in Cluedo 2000 and PTM.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:26 pm

TheWhitePawn wrote:I love the Limited Gift Edition pawns most (As can be seen by my icon). They are fantastic. I always loved wooden pawns... but these are even better because of the brass base. I also love how tall they are. Very very elegant.

I was going to mention Limited Gift Edition but I didn't have time. Yes I also adore those pawns. As I have once said, I only like the 1996 board when they make the recoloured changes such as in Ltd. Gift Edition. . But with those large pawns with brass bases, against such rooms as the ballroom, it looks like complete sheer elegance.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:42 am

I love the MD pawns, though I wish they had somehow specified which piece belonged to which person with a name. Then none of these fools would think Peach was a pink suspect.

I like the new humanoid figurines, too.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:51 am

They would be good if they had a better base, and looked less hidious.

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:10 am

little names on the pawns would be a great idea! maybe they should come up w/ a limited edition md game (kristev drools now!) :D

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:35 am

I might be wrong... but I doubt we'll get another version of MD, much less a Special Edition. Seeing as how the Clue games are made more and more for children... MD would not fir into Hasbro's new "target audience." Clue is no longer a "family game" as before... they are trying to simplify it so that kids can play it on their own.

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:06 pm

hey-i never said this is hat to expect! this is the same kind of wishing as "can we get a hot plum!" no expectaion there!

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Pawns

Post by Lord Caspen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:23 pm

I played a version of the '72 edition with entirely wooden pieces (none of this brass-bottom stuff) and I sort of liked that. They were very smooth and the paint job was more of a stain, and they took up just about the whole square on which they sat at any given time. I can't say what I liked about them particularly.

I'm with Cluedokid, to an extent -- I don't care for the color mixups that abound between the MD pieces. Orange for rose, while not my first choice, is probably the best answer. Or else orange for peach -- as in the color of that fruit's meat.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:08 pm

CRAZINESS! That's what this all is... CRAZINESS!

Peach is ORANGE.
Rose is PINK.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:10 pm

Michael, I'm guessing you have never seen an orange rose:

Don't forget, the names were changed to non colour names (minus: Rev. Grun, Frau Wiess, and Herr Brun) so it really doesn't make a difference.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:14 pm

I've seen yellow roses, purple roses, roses of all kinds...

But more often than not, PINK roses.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:16 pm

Well it certainly couldn't of worked in French Super Cluedo because of Miss Scarlet's moniker of Mlle. Rose.

Thus Mme. Rose was changed to Mme. Chose/Mrs. Thing.

Just what "thing" is exactly orange is a mystery to me.

schroeder562
Spy

Post by schroeder562 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:34 pm

while the classic pawns are fun, i like the figures myself. Especially Plum, because that's who I always am :D

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:12 pm

then we can't play together-i will kill for that purple pawn! :twisted:

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Clue Pawns.

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:28 pm

CluedoKid wrote:One of the best pawns ever are the Super Cluedo Challenge pawns. I live the idea of the coloured busts!
Yes I love this idea of the busts. I think it was probably the best idea they ever came up with. I've been thinking about this since I bit the bullet and ordered the Premiere edition (which I think we can all agree have the worst out-of-the-box pieces – OK, maybe tied with the reinvention's). I've been looking at which tokens I would want to use, but none really hit the mark for me. So I got to thinking, I would LOVE it if for some future deluxe edition they would make pewter busts embedded in coloured bases, preferably enameled pewter. I'm really surprised they've never done that in ad edition. In many ways it would be like the Geoffrey Parker pawns, except with more realistic heads on bodies, sculpted into display bases.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

ohhh

Post by Lord Caspen » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:48 pm

Ooooh! I love those busts! The actual busts, that is, not so much the bronze-heads.

I don't know why, but somehow I am repeatedly distressed to see no representation of Mrs. White outside of her being a maid/housekeeper/cook. I'm just not entirely satisfied with seeing her in only the one posture, outside of the movie.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.