Sir Black's Will

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

boddysattorney
Gumshoe

Sir Black's Will

Post by boddysattorney » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:19 am

I know none of your probably look at the whole storyline provided by the games as closely (perhaps obsessively) as I do, but here is one thing that I think we all have asked ourself or wondered at one time or another:

What is in Sir Black's will?

Apparently, it was supposed to be kept secret so we are denied the classic image of a murder mystery novel with the lawyer - ie Meadow-Brook - reading the deceased's will aloud to the greedy heirs. No, Mr. Meadow-Brook must have had indiviual meetings with each heir, explaining their allowance. According to various sources, the allowances are paid monthly and for various reasons. Some are of generosity - ie Col. Mustard and Prof. Plum; others are blackmail - ie Mrs. Peacock and Rev. Green; and some have yet to be explained - ie Miss Scarlet. Or did she get hers from her mother, "being" Sir Hugh's daughter?

But why all the secrecy over the Trust? Through all of the Clue Mysteries game there is mentioning of the Trust this, and the Trust that - and all the while it's merely refered to as confidential. WHY? What was in it so scandalous that Sir Black coudln't have public until years after his death? Everyone knew Mr. Boddy would get Tudor Mansion and the bulk of the estate, so why keep the details a secret? The only thing worthy of true speculation was whetehr or not the heirs - ie the suspects - would have their allowances cut off.

Furthermore, who was a complete list of people benefiting from Sir Black's will? Were only Scarlet, Mustard, White, Green, Peacock, Plum, and Boddy beneifiting through allowances? What about Ash and Rusty? Did the Meadow-Brooks get any? How about Miss Peach, Lady Lavender, or Prince Azure ... well, maybe not them. How about Lord Gray?

Comments? Additions?
Did anyone take the time to actually read it?

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:25 am

I think it gives the game a more mysterious feel if we do not know who gets what. And when you really think about it, does it matter? Who cares what Miss Scarlet gets? All the game focuses on is a murder. The creative team's idea to put in Boddy's Trust and add a Will is solely to create motives for every character, since previously the game lacked that. What they get or don't get isn't of much importance. As for question about who gets what, I believe that they all may get something (Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook, Peach, Lavender, Azure, Gray, and Ashe). Rusty and Mrs. Meadow-Brook for sure, as they are suspects in Clue FX. As for Peach, Lavender, Azure, and Gray, and Ashe, it never says that they are not in the will, it just says that they are not suspects. Perhaps Peach and Azure were enjoying tea in the Conservatory when Meadow-Brook was murdered, while Lavender and Gray were relaxing in the Lounge. Ashe may have been serving tea to Peach and Azure, thus giving him an alibi too. This does not mean that they are not in the will, it just means that they couldn't have commited murder.

boddysattorney
Gumshoe

Post by boddysattorney » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:42 pm

Sure, it doesnt matter, thast obvious. But there is one thing that you should take into consideration: it gives motive. Only a maniac murders without motive.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:15 pm

Who cares? Its a game! They are complete psychos! :twisted:

boddysattorney
Gumshoe

Post by boddysattorney » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 pm

no, actually on the contrary: the suspects of Clue have always personified the classic images of wealth, prestige, and beauty. Meaning, that to call them "complete pyschos" is a drastic criticism. They are not crazed as much as they are desperate and greedy.

It adds sustience to the expierence to have an idea of what the *beep* is actually going on, has gone on, and why everything is going on now. I mean, unless you like walking in the dark, the storyline provided merely adds a little bit of light and life to the game.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:25 pm

I just make one up and not wait for somebody to make a storyline up for me.

boddysattorney
Gumshoe

Post by boddysattorney » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:45 pm

you would think that they would mix the motives: not just tie everything to the Trust ...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:56 pm

Personally still I prefer to make up a story line instead. I'm disatified with the one provided(Peacock as Scarlet's mother?)

boddysattorney
Gumshoe

Post by boddysattorney » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:03 pm

true

I find the British view of the characters - to say the least - tacky

Miss Scarlet I always saw as either Mr. Boddy's niece or fiancee (depending on how old Mr. Boddy was)
Col. Mustard I never thought to be a blundering idiot, but a very intelligent man, never a cowad
Mrs. White .... well, I never cared for her in the first place. If you have a suspect being a servant, have it the Butler. I mean, seriously ...
Mr. Green I saw as a slimy business man, that was always evident. He reminded me - especially in the 1992 - of Walter Matthau, always having a Get Rich Quick Scheme up his sleeve
Mrs. Peacock, sure she was always the rich old dame in the picture, but I prefer her more youthful look in the recent versions. After all, that Mother Goose of an original design is the last person I'd suspect to kill a man.
Professor Plum: while a historical appraoch is logical, a boring physic major or something along those lines would have made a little more sense to me

however, I do like the Rusty and Mrs. Meadow-Brook characters
Lady Lavender remains in my mind a useless character. Maybe if she was something a little less ... well, an Asian "lady" raises too many question in my mind

boddysattorney
Gumshoe

Post by boddysattorney » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:24 pm

another thing:
who made up those names?

Josephine Scarlet? i mean seriously ...
and why would you have Boddy and Green with the same names?
then Blanche White! Isnt that White White?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:34 pm

EDIT.
Last edited by CluedoKid on Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:12 am

I agree.

I seen Evelyn Scarlet (her name in a foreign edition is Evelyn Rose) as a sensual young lady, either dating or intending to date Boddy, but not for love as much as for money.

Colonel Algernoun Mustard (I favor the MD names, thank you,) is a Colonel who saved Boddy once when they served together, and despite Mustard's somewhat parasitic nature, he and Boddy are very, very good friends.

Mrs. Blanche White (Yes, that is white-white, and I think it's quite charming) has always been seen as the maid except in the movie, and she is always seen as old except in the 1980's edition. She clearly does not like the other suspects. White is the gossip, not Peacock.

Reverend Lyman Green: Green has always been quite a sleasy character, and I never quite understood how to understand him. I never much accepted him as a mobster, but as a former Christian, I can now see very clearly how dangerous a corrupted preacher can be.

Doctor Henrietta Peacock: She is elegant and well-dressed. She is beautiful, and she has children, but Scarlet is not one of them. I see her as either a doctor or an aviary biologist. She is also a socialite, and realizing that her looks are fading, knows how to trade on her mind. In either case, she makes good money and does actually work, but she works on her terms. So, being a private doctor makes the most sense. As such, she Boddy's doctor and knows most of his darkest secrets. Gossip is not her forte.

Prof. Edgar Plum: I always saw him as more gifted in technology and physics than I do an archeologist. In my assessement, Plum has been sponsered partially by Boddy, or partially blackmailed by him. In either case, they are not really friends.

We all now that Prince Azure and Lady Lavender are pale, rather worthless imitations of Monsieur Brunette and Madame Rose, but I am willing to accept them anyway. The two I can quite do without are local busy-body Meadow-Brook and her assistant, Rusty.

Miss Emily-Georgia Peach really is, in my opinion, Boddy's niece. She is sweet, a rival to Scarlet, yet every bit a southern belle.

Sgt. Grey, a corrupt, straight-laced cop, is far more interesting than Lord Grey, a tempermental artist. We already have a tempermental artist; his name is Brunette.

M. Brunette is an art-and-arms dealer who likes to create, and pass off, forgeries of famous artworks. He has made many deals with an increasingly skeptical Boddy.

Madame Rhoda Rose was Boddy's secretary, and she was also a medium. Some say she is his sister, but I do not really believe that.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:24 am

Wow I love some as your choices! Paticualry White and Brunette...In my world of Clue, Azure and Lavender don't exist for anything but possible victims.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:33 am

Thank you for that. White is so clear to me, and I am so in love with Brunette and Rose.

Lavender I accept fairly easily, if I keep her strictly as an herbalist and leave the gypsy arts to Rose.

Azure is harder to deal with, unless (as I see him) he is sleeping with Lavender. Then I have a use for him.

Meadow-Brook and Rusty I wish would disappear.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:57 am

boddysattorney wrote: then Blanche White! Isnt that White White?
Don't forget that Mrs. Blanche White was born as Miss Blanche Chaulkey. :wink:
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:00 pm

True but's thats only in the recent storyline :wink:

Jonathan Green
Master Detective

Re: Sir Black's Will

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:14 pm

Seems only the classic six are profiting from Sir Hugh's will. Scarlett might be getting an allowance because Sir High thinks she's her daughter. Yet in Clue Mysteries, Scarlett never learns she's getting an allowance, only her mother, Mrs. Peacock. Maybe Peacock is taking Scarlett's money, it's not far fetch.
“Really Plum?!” - Mr. Green (Clue VCR, 1985)
IG:https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en