Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:33 pm

Since the old forum about the app is gone, I deiced to make a new one.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by Sir Shamrock » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:27 pm

The new theme is Sherlock! Complete with nine suspects in Victorian London

Pretty good news

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Thank you! I'll start rummaging around, see what I can find back online...

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:21 am

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:27 pm
The new theme is Sherlock! Complete with nine suspects in Victorian London

Pretty good news
https://m.facebook.com/MarmaladeGameStudio/

Yup. That’s pretty cool. I guess Sherlock Holmes is 100% Public Domain now. The question is, will one of them be Sherlock? Will they all be portrayed as characters from the novels? Someone posted this on the Marmalade FaceBook page:
9 characters... Brunette as Sherlock Holmes, Mustard as Dr Watson, Plum as Prof. Moriarty, Gray as Inspector Lestrade, White as Mrs. Hudson, Rose as Irene Adler, Azure as Mycroft Holmes, Orchid as Queen Victoria, Scarlett as suffragette?
9 suspects again. That’s exciting. I wonder which we’ll get this time? But I’m still bummed it’s only still 6 weapons. Looks like we’re getting a straight razor, a cane sword, a poisoned dart, a revolver, a night stick? And a cricket bat — interesting.

I did not realize this thread was wiped out. There was a lot of good info and discussion there. Sad.

Here’s the matrix again. I think it’s a fair bet we’ll get a new Inspector Grey/Gray this time as he’s the only character we’ve only had one of so far — and totally fits with a Sherlock theme. Madame Rose would be another good one as we’ve only had two of her. Same with Azure, but we just had a second one of him in the Venetian theme. Brunette’s only had two, so he’s a good one for this theme as well. White is the most logical choice here over Orchid, though White still well outnumbers Orchid in terms of appearance. Peach is another limited appearance character, but she’s had the most of any expansion characters so far, and wouldn’t be my first pick for gritty Victorian London. This would be a good opportunity to introduce new characters though, maybe we’ll finally get Rusty and Meadowbrook.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:36 pm

Which one had Gray in it?

I'm rooting for a Meadow-Brook, Rusty, or Lavender myself... :) Be nice if they didn't ignore those 2000s characters (except for Azure, which of course is not tokenism at ALL...)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:13 pm

Elrond wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:36 pm
Which one had Gray in it?

I'm rooting for a Meadow-Brook, Rusty, or Lavender myself... :) Be nice if they didn't ignore those 2000s characters (except for Azure, which of course is not tokenism at ALL...)
Gray/Grey has only been released in the original International pack with the original Tudor mansion. He might be Inspector Lestrade who appears to be a character this go around.

I find it hard to believe they will ever release Lady Lavender, since by all appearances she has been replaced by Dr. Orchid. And she creates an imbalance of characters which would have to be offset by another male character. I don't think there will be a Lord Gray/Grey either for the same reason. I think we only got Prince Azure because he was the only original character of African descent in the Cluedo family. But Rusty and Meadow-Brook make an excellent pair addition, though Middle-Brooke adds yet another middle-aged white woman to an already over-loaded cast. Rusty is a little more unique to mix -- and it looks like they've hinted at him in the latest artwork:

It does look like they will be playing characters. Irene Adler appears to be one of them. Any guesses as to who will be playing Sherlock? And that hat could totally be Meadow-Brooke -- but like Rusty, I think she'd need to be playing herself if she's a new introduction.

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Surely the hat is Scarlet as the Suffragette?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:24 pm

Yay! Rusty! Are we getting close to a Garden Theme for the Summer :D

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:37 pm

I forgot to say, hooooray Rusty! We missed you, you old grouch!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:40 am

I don't believe they are actually playing the Sherlock Holmes characters - rather its simply a facelift theme of the setting. Notice that they are hinting at the SH character names, rather than showing them in full. As we've got Scarlett; the suffragette and Rusty; the crime boss, it looks like they are just evoking the time period roles.

I do like the look of it though. Might be my favourite themed set, we shall see.

Also, I think I can see what's supposed to be the Peacock character in the lower right of the Dr. Black poster, with a monkey on her shoulder.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:50 am

CluedoKid wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:40 am
I don't believe they are actually playing the Sherlock Holmes characters - rather its simply a facelift theme of the setting. Notice that they are hinting at the SH character names, rather than showing them in full. As we've got Scarlett; the suffragette and Rusty; the crime boss, it looks like they are just evoking the time period roles.

I do like the look of it though. Might be my favourite themed set, we shall see.

Also, I think I can see what's supposed to be the Peacock character in the lower right of the Dr. Black poster, with a monkey on her shoulder.
The Lower right of the Dr. Black Poster is Rusty? Where’s Peacock?

And if they aren’t playing the characters, then why does it appear they are calling someone “Irene Adler” by name? Not to mention the title theme “Sherlock”. If there’s no one playing Sherlock, then they’re using it as a time period like Edwardian, or Victorian?

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:17 am

Just went to the game's steam page for Dr. Orchid, and found out she has a different backstory...
Dr Orchid is a brilliant scientist with multiple PhDs in plant toxicology, funded by one of Dr Black’s scholarships. On a research trip to the Amazon she unearthed a plant with incredible healing properties, and successfully synthesised it. She wanted to release her wonder drug to the world for free, but Dr Black technically owned her work, and patented it. Perhaps Dr Orchid hoped that the patent would die with him?
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:15 pm

There's a poll on Marmalade's FaceBook for the new theme!
I think the locations in the background are 1) Park and 2) Boutique
Attachments
56384084_2181374561951441_8856345430481436672_n.jpg
56384084_2181374561951441_8856345430481436672_n.jpg (92.18 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
56219930_2181374378618126_1620953505420279808_n.jpg
56219930_2181374378618126_1620953505420279808_n.jpg (85.33 KiB) Viewed 4441 times

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:41 pm

Looks like Sherlock in this is not gonna look like...
Attachments
flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg
Benedict Cumberbatch by fayefinney
flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg (16.01 KiB) Viewed 4437 times

ColonelMoutarde
Suspect

Post by ColonelMoutarde » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Yeah! Thanks for the news!
I hope we can see meadowbrook with Rusty !! And Lord Gray and Lady Lavender but I thinks Murder by Death is right (Lord Gray = Insepctor Gray, Lavdy Lavender = Dr Orchid now).

In france Lord Gray it's a very different character with a different name... but what I can read in U.K. it's seems to be the same character of Insp. Gray

Scarlet - Mustard - Green - Peacock - Peach - Plum - Rose - Brunette
White - Grey - Orchid - Azure - Lavender - Rusty - Meadow-Brook - Gray

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:56 pm

ColonelMoutarde wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:53 pm
Yeah! Thanks for the news!
I hope we can see meadowbrook with Rusty !! And Lord Gray and Lady Lavender but I thinks Murder by Death is right (Lord Gray = Insepctor Gray, Lavdy Lavender = Dr Orchid now).

In france Lord Gray it's a very different character with a different name... but what I can read in U.K. it's seems to be the same character of Insp. Gray
I totally agree that, in English, Lord Grey is the same as Inspector Grey is the same as Sgt. Grey. I've always seen all of these as different incarnations of the same characters - like Scarlett changing from a socialite to an actress to a spy but always our same beloved Scarlett.

Is there a theme to the names in France? Like in English, all of the names/charactesr are coloured based, but I think this disappears in most translations, right?

ColonelMoutarde
Suspect

Post by ColonelMoutarde » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:15 pm

I totally agree that, in English, Lord Grey is the same as Inspector Grey is the same as Sgt. Grey. I've always seen all of these as different incarnations of the same characters - like Scarlett changing from a socialite to an actress to a spy but always our same beloved Scarlett.

Is there a theme to the names in France? Like in English, all of the names/charactesr are coloured based, but I think this disappears in most translations, right?
Yes, sometimes the names are really strange. Like Madame Rose who becomes Madame Thing in French ... really Thing. The connection with the color? Any.
Rusty in French gives Francis, a nice name but I do not see the report lol.
After Pervanche, it is a nod to the nickname of women contractual (police).
Mrs. Meadowbrook becomes Beaumont and Lord Gray becomes Comte du Puy, a character really apart from here. I do not know why.
But I think that in French there was no translation possible. Or the publishers had no ideas.

Scarlet - Mustard - Green - Peacock - Peach - Plum - Rose - Brunette
White - Grey - Orchid - Azure - Lavender - Rusty - Meadow-Brook - Gray

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:28 pm

MGS just released the first suspect for the theme: Irene Adler!
Irene Adler is an aristocratic woman of intrigue who leaves behind her a trail of broken hearts and empty wallets. Her latest blackmail target is a member of the royal family. Dr Black discovered the affair and threatened to reveal Adler’s true motives unless she used her royal connection for his ends. Perhaps he discovered, too late, that you should never blackmail a blackmailer?
Attachments
Irene.jpg
Irene.jpg (113.12 KiB) Viewed 4299 times

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Hmm, so they are using the Sherlock characters, I'm a bit surprised as I thought the names were just decoration, but also a bit disappointed as I was hoping to see interpretations of existing Clue characters we haven't seen yet (and also Victorian reimaginings of the ones we have, as they are doing with Scarlet and Rusty).

Interesting though from her colour, she could pass as Mrs. Meadow-Brook.

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:35 pm

Ok, let us see how many characters are revealed so far...

1. Scarlett
2. Rusty
3. Irene
4. Watson
5. Sherlock