New Chocolate Cluedo Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

New Chocolate Cluedo Game

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:10 am

One question ... Where can I get one?

Looks like they’re using the retro 1986 edition artwork on a cool tin.

http://www.gamesformotion.nl/eng/chocol ... cluedo_can

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Re: New Chocolate Cluedo Game

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:03 am

I love that these are very clearly reduced versions of the games meant for a bit of quick fun before breaking into the chocolate. Very reminiscent of the old After Dinner edition, with just 6 rooms instead of all 9 (from what I can make out in that photo of the notepad, and taking the obviously smaller Scrabble board into consideration). Hope versions of these find their way to the US markets (or that I can convince the old ladies who run my favorite British store to stock some for the holiday season).
"But look what happened to the cook!"

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:06 am

Although: now I’ve poked around their website, I realize I’ve seen their vintage style chocolate Monopoly at Cracker Barrel. So maybe we already have/will soon get a new chocolate Clue for ourselves.

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:42 am

Not sure if you've seen me send out a warning regarding Chocolate Monopoly (spin the wheel until you divided all the chocolate) or Chocolate Scrabble (4 turns max if you're with 2 players, whoever draws Z wins) but I definitely hope Cluedo is designed a little better. The tin is nice, at least.

The rules on the back of my chocolate Cluedo edition are similar to the regular Cluedo rules. I don't want to unwrap my edition to check out if it works.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:25 am

The last chocolate Clue I ever played worked just like the regular game, but was limited to 4 players using the 4 included chips as playing pieces. The cards were the chocolates.

This new one looks like they’ve just made some changes (improvements) to the norm. The tin clearly states it has 24 chocolates. That’s enough to cover 6 suspects, 6 weapons, and 6 rooms cards, plus 6 chocolates as playing pieces. The text description says 20 pieces, but that can’t be accurate for Clue/do (some other descriptions on their site have weird quirks/potential errors as well, so I’ve no reason to not believe it’s a hastily written blurb).

Although ... if the promotional image is accurate, it looks like the game might only have 5 suspects, 4 weapons, and 6 rooms. There’s no way to really tell without getting one & opening it up, but that’s what I can make out from the notepad. If that’s the case, it’s a very streamlined game (which makes sense. The game is just a means for eating chocolates)

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:39 am

Monopoly wasn't a fun way to divide chocolate. With my sister and I we spent like half an hour with the warped spin disk and there were still a number of streets left we just never landed on. There was a game board, but it was not used in game. (it's now on my bedroom wall though. Makes a great poster. 8) )

We just caved in and divided the chocolate equally. Then we started eating it - and discovered it tasted horrible! We ended up throwing the chocolate away.

Scrabble is a bit more complicated - you get 4 double-sided pieces each to make words. The odds of reaching a multiplier field are slim. With 20 pieces it was not possible to play more than 4 turns, with words that are no more than 5 letters long it was no challenge whatsoever. Adding insult to inury - it uses EU scoring. In standard Dutch Scrabble the Z is worth 4, not too uncommon. In the chocolate game the Z is worth 10. None of the other pieces had a value higher than 3. Whoever drew Z, won. At least the chocolate tasted better.

Still neither game gave a game element that was entertaining enough to cough up the money for it. For the prize of one of those games I can buy 1kg of premium slave-free chocolate.

I'm going to buy more second-hand board games with the sole purpose of decorating my room with the boards.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:10 am

Yeah the North American chocolate games of years past haven’t tasted like anything special. But I used to work for Godiva, so I’m really picky about my chocolate thanks to those years.

But I love the idea of using spare game pieces for decorations! If the paper pieces from my chocolate Clue weren’t so hideous (Discover the Secrets era, boo hiss) I’d slap ‘em on my wall tonight. But now I have an idea for the plethora of spare 1972 edition pieces I’ve somehow amassed. :D

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:34 am

That sounds like my dream job! What did you do there?

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:22 pm

BBP wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:34 am
That sounds like my dream job! What did you do there?
A lot of nonsense for very little money, lol. To be fair, working the dipping station was always fun, but 90% of it was just like any other corporately run retail job. And the 40% employee discount made gift shopping a breeze. But never again.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:20 pm

I saw the Candyland tin at a local upscale boutique store, sold along with the high end, and holiday candy. It’s smaller than I expected, about 5-6” square — and quite heavy. If they had had Clue, I would have bought it. It’s presence in the US, suggests we may get a Clue branded one, but the real question is where will it be sold?

Considering where I found it, it seems unlikely it would show up at Target, or other big box discount stores. Except, this seems to suggest they’re available at Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Kroger, and CVS among others. Everybody check your local stores.

http://www.gamesformotion.nl/eng/worldmap.html

Sir Shamrock
Gumshoe

Post by Sir Shamrock » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:07 am

Oh hey, their available at Toys r Us!